Home Health Care Speech Therapist
CorsoCare Macomb County
Home Health Care Speech Therapist will be a contingent position that provides services for home care clients who have speech and language problems. Services are provided under the direction of the attending physician with the participation of the family and other members of the interdisciplinary team, as indicated.
Required Experience for Speech Therapist:
- Education and/or Experience: Meets the education and experience requirements for Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in speech pathology or audiology granted by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, or has completed the educational requirements for certification and is in the process of accumulating the supervised experience required for certification.
- Is certified to practice Speech-Language Pathology.
- Has a minimum of one (1) years’ experience in a health care facility or equivalent experience.
- Current CPR certification, as applicable.
Primary Responsibilities for Speech Therapist:
- Home Health Care Speech Therapist will performs speech therapy assessments, diagnostic tests, skilled procedures, and ongoing evaluation for clients who are receiving services under a medically approved Plan of Care.
- Completes initial assessments within forty-eight (48) hours of referral unless other arrangements are made.
- Completes comprehensive assessments including OASIS data set within forty-eight (48) hours of referral for speech therapy services unless other arrangements are made.
- Develops a therapy care plan to provide direction to other health team members involved in the plan of care. Reviews and updates per Agency policy and client need.
- Documents all findings, plans, interventions, and outcomes and submits documentation to the Agency within seven (7) days or per Agency policy.
- Speech Therapist communicates plans and changes to the physician and to the client Case Manager and other caregivers through the care plan, progress notes, and participation in care conferences.
- Communicates changes in schedule and physician orders to the office on the day the changes are made.
- Implements teaching appropriate to the client's needs and within the context of his/her environment and learning ability.
- Assesses knowledge level of client and identifies learning needs.
- Plans, teaches, supervises, and counsels clients about their physical therapy needs to promote improvement or recovery, symptom management of disease process, and community resources.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the teaching plan and establishes care plan for others to follow in teaching the client.
- Attends and actively contributes to interdisciplinary team or other required meetings.
- Shares areas of expertise among and between teams. Initiates interdisciplinary referrals.
- Home Health Care Speech Therapist participates in discharge planning and documents this in client record.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the ongoing quality improvement process.
- Serves on the Clinical Record Review Committee.
- Uses OASIS assessment tool and outcome reports to improve therapy services and client outcomes.
- Participates with interdisciplinary team to assure consistency in data collection methods.
- Promotes personal safety and a safe environment for clients and coworkers.
- Home Health Care Speech Therapist demonstrates knowledge of safety/infection control practices by compliance with agency policies and procedures.
- Recognizes and responds to potentially unsafe situations.
- Demonstrates safe practice in the use of equipment.
- Assesses safety of environment and takes initiative to help prevent accidents and
- promote safety.
- Home Health Care Speech Therapist Performs job in compliance with Agency policies and procedures and professional and community standards.
- Provides services in accordance with applicable state, federal, CHAP, and JCAHO standards.
- Attends meetings and required educational programs.
- Accepts responsibility for personal and professional development and identifies learning/developmental needs to supervisor.
- Maintains confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Protects the confidentiality of information in the client clinical record and releases this information only in accordance with Agency policy and professional standards.
- Does not discuss client or staff identities, conditions, or circumstances in public or with others who are not professionally involved with the situation/person.
- Home Health Care Speech Therapist Protects written confidential documents in a manner that prevents unauthorized access.
- Work toward continual improvement of the overall organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
General Working Conditions:
This position may require entail sitting or standing for long periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to communicate effectively with others, sit, stand, walk and use hands to handle keyboard, telephone, paper, files, and other equipment and objects. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to review detailed documents and read computer screens. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The work environment requires appropriate interaction with others. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Occasional travel to different locations may be required.