PRN Home Health Care Registered Nurse (RN)
Covering Grand Ledge Area
The Home Health Care Registered Nurse/RN is a contingent opening and will work under the direction of the Supervising nurse is responsible for promoting the delivery of coordinated, comprehensive care to patients through the activities of assessment, planning and provision of direct nursing care within the policies and standards of the Agency. The Staff Nurse/Case Manager makes the initial patient evaluation visit except in circumstances where the physician has ordered therapy only and the Supervising nurse approves admission by the Therapist.
Required Experience for Home Health Care Registered Nurse/RN:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Baccalaureate degree preferred.
- Current licensure as a registered nurse (RN) in the State of Michigan.
- Minimum of two (2) years of nursing in an acute care or home care setting is preferred.
- CPR certification preferred, not required.
- Current Michigan driver’s license and/or reliable transportation.
- Must be empathetic, nonjudgmental, tactful, responsible, adaptable, organized, and committed to the purpose and objectives of the organization.
- Must have excellent communications skills.
- Must have emotional and mental maturity necessary for establishing and maintaining good work relationships with patients, patient’s families, and Agency personnel.
- Must understand the team approach and be a supportive team member.
Primary Responsibilities for Home Health Care Registered Nurse/RN:
- Home Health Care Registered Nurse/RN must be able to meet the physical demands of providing nursing care, ambulating patients, transferring patients, assisting with exercises, etc.
- Must be able to transfer patients as needed according to proper techniques of body mechanics to promote patient and staff safety and well-being.
- Assumes responsibility for an assigned caseload of patients to a developed plan of care. Conducts OASIS assessments at appropriate time points.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive, goal focused, care plan for each patient and makes updates in accordance with written orders from the physician.
- Home Health Care Registered Nurs/RN establishes realistic patient/nursing goals and expected outcomes. Provides nursing guidance and care to patients at home
- Makes planned home visits to the patient for assessment, instruction, supervision, and provision of nursing treatments according to the Plan of Care.
- Makes referrals to other services as indicated.
- Initiates and maintains continuous contact with the patient’s physician to report the patient’s response to home care, any changes in status, or possible need to additional services.
- Prepares and maintains clinical documentation according to Agency policies and acceptable nursing standards.
- Provides instruction/guidelines to home health aides providing health and personal care services, including ongoing supervision and evaluation of the services delivered.
- Home Health Care Registered Nurse/RN coordinates therapists, home health aides, and others who provide services to each patient to form an interdisciplinary team to ensure consistent and appropriate care. Teaches the patient and those in the home who nurse the patient how his/her care is to be given.
- Evaluates effectiveness and outcomes of care.
- Initiates preventative and rehabilitation nursing procedures.
- Home Health Care Registered Nurse/RN supervises and evaluates the patient’s care on an on-going basis.
- Provides necessary professional nursing care and evaluates effectiveness and outcomes of care.
- Implements infection control and safety precautions.
- Plans for the patient’s discharge from service.
- Shares the responsibility of on call duty for patients in emergency situations, including home visits as required.
- Informs the Supervising nurse of patient services provided and needed and any changes in the Plan of Care.
- Participates in orientation, in-service programs, staff meetings, and case conferences.
- Interprets Agency services and policies to patients, families, physicians, Comprehensive services, etc.
- Maintains a working knowledge of third-party reimbursement in relation to home health patient benefits.
- Recognizes legal responsibilities involved in patient care, respects patient rights, and property.
- Acts as a source of information, provides mentoring, and sets an example for less experienced staff members.
- Contacts the Supervising nurse to inform him/her of alternate schedule for patient visits during vacation, sick days. Or personal days off. Reports any schedule change or inability to complete assignment as scheduled.
- Accepts changes/additions to schedule during staffing difficulties when necessary.
- Organizes daily visit schedule to minimize travel time and mileage. Maintains productivity according to work status.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General Working Conditions:
This position could entail sitting or standing for long periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to communicate effectively with others, sit, stand, walk and use hands to handle keyboard, telephone, paper, files, and other equipment and objects. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to review detailed documents and read computer screens. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The work environment requires appropriate interaction with others. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Occasional travel to different locations may be required.